WSET Online Classroom course: 06 September 2021 - 03 October 2021
Deadline for registering: 29 August 2021
This is an online course.
Examination can be taken online or at our venue.
Scroll down for more details
WSET Level 1 Award in Sake - course details
Over a 4-week online study programme you will learn through WSET’s Online Classroom, which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
The course structure allows the student to work ahead or catch up on the activities and forums. There are no set times to log into the course as there are no live chats or webinars.
- Course dates:
Start date: 06 September 2021
Finish date: 03 October 2021
- Examination can be taken online or at our venue. Students will be provided a list of possible exam dates to choose from.
- Language of tuition: English
About this course
- WSET Level 1 Award in Sake course is a beginner level introduction to sake for those starting a career in the industry or pursuing an interest in sake. It is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to sake.
- The qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake, for example people who work with sake as part of a larger beverage portfolio, in the retail and hospitality sectors.
- Successful candidates will be able to list the principal categories of sake, and state their defining characteristics, and know the key principles involved in the storage and service of sake. They will consequently be in a position to answer customer queries and provide recommendations for the service of sake.
- The WSET Level 1 Award in Sake, or an equivalent level of experience, is recommended for entry to the WSET Level 3 Award in Sake.
- There are no restrictions on entry to the WSET Level 1 Award in Sake through overlaps withother qualifications or parts of qualifications.
- There are no requirements for candidates to have previous knowledge or previous experience of alcoholic beverages.
- Minimum age required at time of booking: 18 years old.
- As the course is delivered online, students will require access to a computer (recommended) and/or smartphone or tablet. Basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
The course is based around a 7-module online programme. Each module includes aseries of independent activities to help students understand sake production anddifferent styles of sake.
- Module 1: What is Sake and How is it Made?
- Module 2: Categories and Grades of Sake
- Module 3: An Introduction to Tasting Sake
- Module 4: Sake Production
- Module 5: Japanese Labelling Terms and Speciality Styles of Sake
- Module 6: Storage and Service of SAKE
- Module 7: Revision and Resources
Recommended private study
- It is essential for this mode of study that students are regularly accessing and participating in the course online activities.
- A minimum of 3 hours study per week is recommended to successfully complete the course.
- Tasting is also a really important part of studying for this course. It is recommended that at least 7 sakes are tasted as part of this course.
- Sake samples are not provided as part of the fee, but you will be given guidance on the styles you need to source. Students can post their tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator.
- WSET examinations for Level 1 in Sake is available online in English language. Students may also choose to sit the exam at our venue.
- Assessment is by a closed-book exam of 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes.
- A total mark of 70% is required to achieve a pass.
What is included in the course fee
- Study materials: all study materials are included in the online course. No physical resources are send to students.
- Access to WSET’s Online Classroom
- WSET educator support. The student can contact the educator any time for the duration of the scheduled course, should they have any questions
- Examination (online or at our venue)
- Upon successful completion, a WSET certificate and lapel pin
Booking this course
- To book a place simply click on ”Book Now” and follow instructions.
- All orders are subject to our Booking Terms and Conditions. In order to read them please follow this link https://tinyurl.com/yczmtr6e
- For bank transfers contact us directly at email@example.com
Other course dates
08 November 2021 - 05 December 2021
10 January 2022 - 06 February 2022
14 March 2022 - 10 April 2022
16 May 2022 - 12 June 2022
18 July 2022 - 14 August 2022
If you wish to take this qualification on one of these dates instead, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org