WSET Online Classroom course: 07 June 2021 - 08 August 2021
Deadline for registering: 30 May 2021
This is an online course.
Examination needs to be attended in person.
Scroll down for more details
WSET Level 3 - Course details
Over a 9-week online study programme you will learn through WSET’s Online Classroom, which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
The course follows a weekly structure, but it allows the student to work ahead or catch up on the activities and forums. There are no set times to log into the course as there are no live chats or webinars.
As part of the fee, you will be invited to attend a tasting tutorial day at our venue to help you prepare for the tasting examination.
- Course dates
Start date: 07 June 2021
Finish date: 08 August 2021
- One-day tasting tutorial (at our venue) introducing the Level 3 tasting technique: students will be provided a list of possible tutorial dates to choose from.
- Examination (in person): students will be provided a list of possible exam dates to choose from.
- Language of tuition: English
About this course
- WSET Level 3 in Wines Award is an advanced level qualification for professionals working in the wine industry and for wine enthusiasts.
- The qualification will assist those who are required to make professional evaluations of wines with regards to their style, quality and price. The qualification provides the in-depth product knowledge required to underpin job skills and competencies, for example in product selection in the retail and hospitality sectors.
- This course is also dedicated to individuals seeking to delve deeper into the world of wines and provides a detailed understanding of grape growing and wine making. Upon completion they will be able to assess wines accurately, and use their understanding to confidently explain wine style and quality.
- WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits, WSET Level 2 Award in Wines or an equivalent level of experience is recommended for entry to the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines.
- Minimum age required at time of booking: 18 years old.
- As the course is delivered online, students will require access to a computer (recommended) and/or smartphone or tablet. Basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
Each week includes a series of independent activities that guide the student through the key wine regions of the world looking at the factors in the vineyard and winery that influence wine styles.
- Week 1: Factors Affecting Style, Quality and Price of Wine
- Week 2: Tasting technique, Wine Laws and Service
- Weeks 3-5: Factors Affecting the Wine, Style and Quality of Wines from Europe
- Weeks 6-7: Factors Affecting the Wine, Style and Quality of Wines from the Rest of the World
- Week 8: Sparkling and Fortified Wines
- Week 9: Revision
Recommended private study
- It is essential for this mode of study that students are regularly accessing and participating in the course online activities.
- A minimum of 10 hours study per week is recommended to cover the online activities and read the relevant chapters in the textbook.
- Students should note that this is a demanding course and are advised to allow sufficient time for adequate self-study and revision time. A minimum of 60 hours of private study time is required in addition to online guided learning hours.
- Tasting is also a really important part of studying for this course. It is recommended that at least 12 wines are tasted as part of this course.
- Apart from the tasting tutorial (at our venue), wine samples are not provided as part of the fee. You will be given guidance on the styles you need to source. Students can post their tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator.
- WSET examinations are not online, students will be required to attend the examination in person.
- Assessment for this qualification comprises of two parts
- Part one combines a closed-book exam of 50 multiple-choice questions and a question paper requiring short written answers to four questions. To be completed in 2 hours.
- Part two is a tasting examination that will consist of two blind wines and will assess a candidate’s ability to accurately describe a wine and draw conclusions based on these observations. To be completed in 30 minutes.
- A mark of 55% in both the theory and the tasting examination is required to achieve a pass. For the theory examination a candidate will be required to attain a minimum mark of 55% in each section.
What is included in the course fee
- WSET Level 3 study pack that includes course book, study guide and laminated tasting card. It will be shipped once you have booked your place.
- Access to WSET's Online Classroom for one year
- WSET educator support. The student can contact the educator any time for the duration of the scheduled course, should they have any questions
- One-day tasting tutorial at our venue
- Examination (at our venue)
- Upon successful completion, a WSET certificate and lapel pin
Booking this course
- To book a place simply click on ”Book Now” and follow instructions.
- All orders are subject to our Booking Terms and Conditions. In order to read them please follow this link https://tinyurl.com/yczmtr6e
- For bank transfers contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other course dates
28 June 2021 - 29 August 2021
12 July 2021 - 12 September 2021
If you wish to take this qualification on one of these dates instead, please contact us at email@example.com