Flavour chemistry: identifying faults in wine - 13 November 2023
Event date: Monday, 13 November 2023
Event times: 19:00 - 21:00
Guest speaker: Sietze Wijma, MSc in Sensory Science
Venue: GLS Campus, Kastanienallee 82, 10435 Berlin
Scroll down for more details
Flavour chemistry: identifying faults in wine
What do “volatile acidity” and “reduction” smell like? What is the difference between a taint and an off-flavour? Find out at this tasting, led by sensory scientist Sietze Wijma.
Hundreds of different flavour and aroma compounds have been identified in wine. These can be traced back to different grape varieties, winemaking techniques and microorganisms. However, sometimes things don’t go according to plan. The unintentional appearance of wild yeast and bacteria can result in undesirable flavours. Taints can come from various external sources in the vineyard and the winery.
During this masterclass, you will learn to identify 10 important faults in wine by tasting. We will discuss the origins of the fault and what preventive and corrective measures are available to the winemaker.
How will it work?
You will receive 11 glasses of the same neutral wine, where 10 glasses have a single flavour compound added. These are the compounds that have been identified by the scientific community as being responsible for a certain fault. Examples of these compounds are TCA, acetaldehyde and guaiacol.
The session will conclude with a blind recognition activity to put your tasting skills to the test. This is the perfect event for any intermediate-level wine students or enthusiasts looking to take their tasting ability to the next level!
About the speaker
Sietze is a wine and beer enthusiast, based in the Netherlands. With his company The Art of Tasting he shares his knowledge about flavour chemistry and helps people become better tasters, through unique masterclasses and tasting kits. He has previously worked in England for a producer of flavour compounds. Sietze has a MSc in Sensory Science, is a student for the WSET Diploma and is an Advanced Cicerone®️.
We look forward to seeing you!
Terms and conditions
- Once payment has been processed your booking is confirmed.
- Cancellations and transfers can be made up to two weeks before the event.
- Cancellations within 10 working days are non-refundable but can be transferred to another participant up to 2 days before the event.
- If you need to change a name on the booking, please give us as much notice as possible.
- Berlin Wine School reserves the right to cancel the event. If necessary, a full refund or transfer will be offered.
- Please note: The wine list and speaker/s may be subject to change.
- Participants must be over the legal minimum age for the retail purchase of alcoholic beverages in Germany to attend this event.
- For payment by bank transfer contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
* images © The Art of Tasting