WSET Level 1 Award in Wines - course details
Over a 2-week online study programme you will learn through private study and Live Video Sessions under the guidance of a Berlin Wine School educator. The course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course.
- Course dates and times:
- Friday, 19 June 2020 - 18:00 – 20:30: 1st live online session
- Friday, 26 June 2020 - 18:00 – 20:30: 2nd live online session
- Examination can be taken online or at our venue. Students will be provided a list of possible exam dates to choose from.
- Language of tuition: English
About this course
- WSET Level 1 Award in Wines course is a good introductory first course for the wine enthusiast who wishes to be introduced in a structured way to wine styles, storing and serving of wine and food and wine matching.
- This course is also for those preparing for, or employees starting, their first job in wine. The qualification aims to provide the basic product knowledge and skills in the service and retail of wine to prepare a person for their first job in hospitality or retail.
- There are no restrictions on entry for the Level 1 Award in Wines.
- There are no requirements for candidates to have previous knowledge or previous experience of alcoholic beverages.
- Minimum age required at time of booking: 18 years old.
- As the course is delivered online, basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
What you will learn
- Main types and styles of wine available
- Factors that determine the main styles of wine.
- Main characteristics of the principal grape varieties.
- Styles and characteristics of wines made from the principal grape varieties.
- Correct procedures for opening and serving still and sparkling wines.
- Appropriate service temperatures for the main styles of wines available.
- Pairing wines by style with food considering basic taste interactions and individual preferences and sensitivities.
- How to store wine
- Common faults found in wines.
- Understand the issues relating to the safe consumption of wine
Recommended private study
- A minimum of 6 hours of private study is recommended to successfully complete the course (in addition to Live Video Sessions).
- Tasting is an essential part of this course. It is recommended that at least 6 wines are tasted as part of this course. Wines are not provided as part of the fee, but you will be given guidance on the styles you need to source.
- We have selected a tasting set of 6 wines that can be purchased as an Add-On to the course for a fee of EUR80. Upon registering for this course let us know if you would like to purchase this tasting box and you will receive a link allowing you to do so. Please note that currently we can only arrange delivery in Germany.
- WSET examinations for Level 1 and Level 2 are now available online in English language. Students may also choose to sit the exam at our venue.
- Assessment is by a closed-book exam of 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes.
- A total mark of 70% is required to achieve a pass.
What is included in the course fee
- Study materials: WSET Level 1 workbook (posted to students prior to the course start date)
- Two Live Video Sessions under the guidance of a Berlin Wine School educator
- Educator support. The student can contact the educator any time for the duration of the scheduled course, should they have any questions
- Examination (online)
- Upon successful completion, a WSET certificate and lapel pin
Booking this course
- To book a place simply click on ”Book Now” and follow instructions.
- All orders are subject to our Booking Terms and Conditions. In order to read them please follow this link https://tinyurl.com/yczmtr6e
- For bank transfers contact us directly at email@example.com